Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Next Chapter of Life

I'm feeling a little sentimental today.  As many of you know, Blake Nordstrom flew out to good old Utah yesterday to announce the closing of our little Orem Nordstrom store.  A lot of employees took it pretty hard and not necessarily because they are losing their jobs, but a family as well.  Our little store was the 2nd smallest Nordstrom in the entire company which means we only have about 170 employees compared to the average 400 employees most other stores have.  Therefore, we all got to know each other really well. 

Lately, I've been struggling with the decision of whether or not to go back to school.  I've been feeling like I'm in need of a new start, a new career path, or just something new.  For months now I've toyed with the idea of being done with retail forever, having a more "meaningful career," and literally moving on.  I never expected to work at Nordstrom after I graduated college and have been frustrated with the fact that I am still with the company despite the fact that I finished school in April.  However, since the news broke yesterday, I can't help but feel like I'm losing all of my best friends and all of the sudden staying at the Nordstrom in Orem is the only job I want.  I guess it just goes to show you never know a good thing until its gone.

Now I know this job has had its ups and downs and I've done my fair share of venting (especially in the last 5 months) but I really am sad to see this job come to a close.  However, we all know that when one door closes another door opens.  Shortly after our store closes in Orem the City Creek store in Salt Lake City is scheduled to open (the old Crossroads store).   We have all been encouraged to apply for those positions if we wish to stay with the company.  Until yesterday,  I had never even given the new store a thought.  I kept making up excuses for why I wouldn't want to work up there but in reality, I was just scared and intimidated to switch stores. 

This whole thing has been a completely humbling experience for me.  I truly feel like this is an answer to my ongoing prayers.  I'm pretty sure that I have now decided not to go to school, but plan to apply and move to the new City Creek store and make a fresh start there.  It wasn't exactly the career path I had planned on taking, but I know our prayers are answered in mysterious ways.  Because of this store closing, I feel as if I am being forced into a situation that I normally would not have chosen.  But I believe this situation is what is going to truly benefit me in the end. 

The experiences and friendships this store gave me have changed my life.  I'm without a doubt a more confident person and have loved the "home away from home" Nordstrom has given me.  We literally fought like a family but had each other's backs as well.  I know it sounds so cheesy and perhaps hard to understand how a retail department store can give that to you but its true, and I am forever grateful. 

Well...on to bigger and better things I guess!  Here's to the unknown!  I'll keep you posted.  

1 comment:

  1. Worst news ever-- Nordstrom closing? It was coincided perfectly with National Toilet Day to make the worst weekend ever.

    Glad you're being positive about the whole thing though, I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Someday we'll know why...

    ReplyDelete