Monday, October 26, 2009

The Silver Lining

Last week we found out that my Grandpa passed away. He'd been suffering from Alzheimer's the past few years and had gotten progressively worse within the last few months. I was torn about the whole situation. I did not know whether to feel happy that he was finally able to move on, or sad that for the first time, I would pull up that gravel driveway in good old Wapato, Washington and know that he would no longer be inside. I figure that in the end, it was better for him even though my selfish desires wished to keep him hear as long as I could.

This man never ceased to amaze me. I remember my visit this past June on the way to the traditional Stimpson Family Reunion. I sat on the recliner next to his and visited with him for at least an hour, reminding him that I was Nicea's daughter, which made me one of his granddaughters. The channel on TV was set to CNN which was flooding with stories regarding WWII, specifically D-Day. Grandpa had been there. He repeatedly told me he was a war veteran, and on June 6, 1944, he landed on Omaha beach. That he had faught in that war. That he had served his country honorably.

I'll never forget the numerous times I was thrown into the pool even before I knew how to swim. Grandpa thought it was the best way to teach me I guess, or perhaps he forgot which of us cousins knew how to swim and which didn't. Either way, I learned and swam in that pool millions of times. I probably went down the slide even more and lets not forget about the time when I was 6 years old and I learned how to dive.

"The Monster" was another Grandpa Stimpson trademark. With either knee as an "on/off" button we'd play this game with Grandpa at least twice a day. By simply hitting the "on" button he would grab us and tickle us until we could manage to hit the "off" button (he made this very hard to do). During the game, Granpa would frequently "blow a fuse" which I now realize meant he was tired and didn't want to play anymore. I think this is a prominent memory for all the Grandkids which only goes to show how much we all loved it.

All these memories and more came flooding back as we all gathered together in 101 Skoneway to say goodbye. Every single cousin, aunt, and uncle was able to make it to the funeral (I suppose we'll excuse Loren, him being on a mission and all) and I believe this alone is very telling of the family this incredible man raised. Grandpa is gone but we know he is in a better place and that we will see him again soon. And that's the Silver Lining.

4 comments:

  1. Those are some sweet memories of your grandpa. I'm glad you posted them here and reminded me of some of them that I'd forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. g-pa loved throwing everybody in the pool. i forgot about that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you wrote up all these great memories. i feel like i could have said the same thing word for word.

    ReplyDelete